1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 small container vanilla soy yogurt (I used Silk)
1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
Oven at 350*
Cream together sugar and shortening, preferably using a hand mixer. I say this because I hate standing mixers. Everyone gets them for their wedding, never uses them, and I'm gay so I didn't register.
Add the soy yogurt and lemon extract. Beat well.
Add flour, baking powder, and salt (you could sift them together first). Mix, either with the hand mixer until you get a funny burning smell from the gears or with a spatula, until the dough is soft and sticky. Do not overmix or you get that sort of gluteny dough that makes tough cookies. If that happens, you won't know until after you bake them and someone bites into one and makes a face.
Using a spoon, your hands, or some other fancy ass baking shit, drop these on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. You can smoosh them down or leave them ball like. I've done it both ways.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they are firm and a little brownish.
Cool somewhere completely.
Icing
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
When, and only when, the cookies are cool, combine confectioners sugar, water and extract. Mix until smooth.
Frost each cookie. You can do cool drizzle designs or just heap frosting on. Then let the frosting dry and you can take these anywhere.
If you have leftover frosting and it's berry season, just take some fresh local strawberries and dip in there.
No comments:
Post a Comment